Where do Most Car Accidents in Bangor Occur?
There are numerous causes of car accidents in Maine, ranging from impaired and distracted drivers, excessive speed, motor vehicle defects and hazardous road conditions. For every crash that occurs on state highways and roads, the Maine Department of Transportation (DOT) logs vital pieces of information such as accident location and underlying cause.
DOT spokesperson Ted Talbot explains that these car crash statistics are gathered over three-year increments and calculate what is known as a “critical rate factor,” which is based on the number of accidents that occur in one particular location versus other locales.
Talbot says the critical rate factor is useful because it spotlights “areas of concern,” allowing officials to identify certain intersections or stretches of road that have unusually high crash rates. The agency recently released statistics on Bangor locations with the highest car accident rates for 2012-2014.
Most common Bangor car accident locations
According to DOT statistics, the area with the highest rate of collisions is an intersection on Stillwater Avenue, where traffic flow from the I-95 on and off ramps and Parkade shopping plaza converge. Over the last three years, some 43 auto accidents took place at this Bangor intersection.
Following close behind in second place was the crossroads between Ohio Street and Griffin Road, where police responded to 40 crashes.
This data may prove influential in helping motorists avoid traffic collisions, or at least take extra caution when in these specific intersections where accident rates are disproportionately high.
John Theriault, Bangor’s city engineer, says that he is periodically contacted by area residents who voice their concerns about the region’s worst spots for accidents. These opinions, along with DOT crash data, are then analyzed to determine if actions need to be taken.
What to do following an accident
No matter what precautions are taken, auto accidents can and do happen on a regular basis. Remember these tips in the wake of a car accident, as they can help preserve your legal rights in the event negligence was a contributing factor.
- Stay on the accident scene
- Call 911 immediately
- Attend to medical emergencies as necessary
- Gather information from all parties involved, including names, addresses, license and plate numbers and insurance info
- Take photos or video of the crash scene if possible
- Make notes about the weather, time, road conditions, location and relevant events of the accident
- Contact your own insurance company
- Do not admit fault or liability, even if you believe you may be to blame
- Speak with a qualified car accident lawyer
In some instances, victims may be eligible to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party, seeking compensation for property damages, lost income, medical bills, loss of future earnings, and pain and suffering.
However, it takes experience and commitment to effectively handle a car accident claim. Hardy, Wolf & Downing offer a combined 40 years of experience handling personal injury cases and boast a long track record of substantial verdicts and settlements. To schedule a free case review with one of our Maine accident attorneys, please call 1-800-INJURED.
- WCSH News, Where do most car accidents happen in Bangor? Maine DOT knows http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/2016/01/13/maine-dot-accident-data/78765532/
- Maine Transportation Safety Coalition, Maine Highway Safety Facts (2014 Edition), http://www.themtsc.org/publications/databook/