Maine Birth Injury Lawyer
Medical malpractice attorneys in Maine serving Auburn, Lewiston, Bangor and Portland.
If the excitement and joy of your pregnancy was transformed into uncertainty and helplessness as a result of medical negligence during labor and delivery, you may be searching for a birth injury attorney Maine has long trusted to fight for justice and fair financial compensation for victims in similar situations. With birth injuries impacting approximately 7 of every 1,000 American births and with many of those injuries serious and long-lasting in nature, seasoned legal assistance can be critical to recovery. At Hardy, Wolf & Downing, our Portland, Maine-based medical malpractice lawyers stand ready to serve as aggressive advocates on behalf of families throughout Maine and to fight for the outcomes victims deserve.
Witnessing an infant working to overcome injuries sustained during the birthing process is an agonizing experience for any parent. In addition to disappointment and sadness, many moms and dads find themselves facing a future full of uncertainty about how mounting medical bills and therapy costs will be met. Fortunately, the law provides an opportunity for affected families to seek remedies including financial compensation by filing a medical malpractice lawsuit.
If your child has suffered the tragic consequences of a birth injury, and you suspect professional negligence may be to blame, we hope you will seek the assistance of a birth injury lawyer with Hardy, Wolf & Downing. Since 1976, our team has been helping the injured when they are at their most vulnerable and remains committed to providing the insights and advice necessary for them to make informed decisions about their futures.
Injuries that commonly form the basis of birth injury litigation
No two birth experiences are the same, but sadly there are some types of birth injuries that seem to occur with regrettable frequency. Though there are many injuries sustained at birth that are relatively insignificant in nature and generally resolve of their own accord, others are more serious, and may form the basis of legal actions.
Serious birth injuries may include:
- Hypoxic brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Bone fractures
- Erb’s palsy
- Internal bleeding
- Strangulation by umbilical cord
The firm of Hardy, Wolf & Downing has nearly four decades of experience handling birth injury litigation in Portland, Lewiston, Bangor and throughout Maine. During that time, we have been successful in cultivating an impressive network of medical experts, case investigators, researchers and support staff who can delve into medical records, determine causation of injuries and assemble the critical evidence required to establish the strongest possible case for our clients.
Frequent causes of serious birth injuries
The process of birth is something that happens in all corners of the globe on a daily basis, but that is not to say that knowledgeable medical attention and diligent monitoring by professionals is unnecessary to prevent harm. Healthcare practitioners must perform to the accepted standard of care in every patient situation, and straying from such standards can cause severe, often debilitating injuries, as well as malpractice liability.
Some typical acts and omissions leading to devastating birth injuries are known to include:
- Failure to regularly monitor fetal heart rate
- Failure to notice or identify changes in fetal condition
- Botched handling of shoulder dystocia
- Improper administration of Pitocin or other drugs
- Failure to identify infections, cord entanglements or placental abruption
- Undue delay in ordering Caesarian delivery
- Poor communication with other staff and professionals attending the birth
Choosing the best Maine birth injury attorneys
As anyone who has searched for a birth injury lawyer will attest, there is no shortage of attorneys claiming such expertise, and the choices can quickly overwhelm. However, not every lawyer has the necessary attributes to successfully handle this type of claim.
Parents in need of a birth injury attorney in Maine should look for practitioners who:
- Possess demonstrably successful records of securing financial compensation in injury cases
- Have a solid track record of handling medical malpractice matters
- Provide personalized service and clear communication
- Possess experience with all stages of a lawsuit, from fact-finding to settlement negotiations to trial practice
- Access to an extensive network of medical experts and case investigators
The attorneys of Hardy, Wolf & Downing do everything possible to surpass those expectations in every case we take, and have an impressive history of achieving favorable results for clients in Portland, Lewiston, Bangor and across Maine. Our commitment to service is unwavering, and we bring an unrivaled set of skills and resources to bear for every birth injury victim we represent.
We pride ourselves on accessibility to clients, whether providing answers to basic questions, case updates or more fundamental advice about legal options. It is our mission to secure every possible dollar of available compensation, which can include payment for:
- Past, present and future medical expenses
- Continuing therapy and rehabilitation
- Accessibility adaptations for the home
- Pain and suffering
- Special education costs
- Emotional distress
While it is impossible to predict the precise outcome of any given medical malpractice or birth injury case, recent settlements and verdicts in Maine give real cause for optimism among potential plaintiffs.
For instance, a Cumberland County jury recently awarded $7.485 million to a child who suffered severe brain damage due to a doctor’s failure to call for a Caesarian delivery. Negotiated settlements in such cases regularly venture into the six figures and above, but it is vital to secure the help of knowledgeable attorneys who are known for their successes on behalf of birth injury victims.
Portland, Maine medical malpractice lawyers
At Hardy, Wolf & Downing, we understand the need for timely, decisive action in medical malpractice cases.
We are prepared to to the following for our clients:
- Ensure that cases are filed within Maine’s applicable three-year limitations period (six years in the case of minors)
- Secure all relevant medical records pertaining your pregnancy and your child’s birthing process
- Gather evidence, obtain expert opinions and marshal persuasive arguments
- Serve as aggressive pre-trial negotiators
- Provide comprehensive trial advocacy, when necessary
If you have a child who has suffered a severe birth injury due to medical negligence, you are sure to face a road characterized by uncertainty, emotional difficulty and financial strain. You may wonder how you will ever have the resources necessary to provide the care and education your child needs. We want you to know that help is available.
The ME birth injury lawyers of Hardy, Wolf & Downing welcome you to schedule an initial case evaluation at no cost so that you can learn more about your legal options. We will conduct a comprehensive assessment of the facts underlying your child’s injury and discuss possible next steps in a caring, easily understandable way. Keep in mind that you owe nothing unless we secure a financial recovery on your behalf. That way, you have nothing to lose and a more promising future for your child to gain.
Contact us at 1-800-INJURED to begin your family’s fight for justice.
- Stanford Children's Health, Birth Injury, http://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=birth-injury-90-P02340
- Maine Legislature, Maine Revised Statutes, http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/search.htm
- The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook, Birth Injury, http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/childrens_health_issues/problems_in_newborns/
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, Potentially Avoidable Injuries to Mothers and Newborns During Childbirth, 2006, http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb74.jsp