The Maine accident attorneys of Hardy, Wolf & Downing represent residents of Bangor, Lewiston, Auburn, Portland, and the Downeast region of Maine. Boasting more than 100 years of collective experience, our veteran legal team has procured over $150 million for injured Mainers, helping victims maximize their damage awards so they can move forward with their lives.
If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle collision or suffered a personal injury in Maine, the actions you take immediately after the accident are critical for determining how much compensation you can secure from the insurance company, or how well your case will stand up in court should it go to trial.
Having competent legal counsel makes a world of difference in terms of increasing personal injury compensation, as insurance companies will quickly realize they are dealing with attorneys who have a long track record of big verdicts and substantial injury settlements.
While several factors can impact the value of a personal injury lawsuit and the amount of accident compensation obtained, there are certain measures plaintiffs can take to help raise the odds of recovering full and fair monetary damages for their injuries and losses.
Tips to boost personal injury accident compensation
To ensure you recover the greatest amount of personal injury compensation following a car accident, follow these eight tips:
- Record the names and contact info of any witnesses to the accident. Their testimony may be crucial later on and gives you a valuable third-party assessment.
- Document the accident scene. Following any car accident, always make written descriptions or take photos of pertinent details such as broken traffic lights, skid marks or road defects.
- Do not talk to the other driver’s insurance company. Doing so only supplies ammunition for them and weakens your case.
- Seek medical attention right away. Tell the doctor about all of your symptoms, and don’t minimize them. The doctor’s testimony, later on, will damage your “bad back” case if they saw you two days after the accident and you said nothing about your pain.
- Be honest about any health problems you had before the accident so doctors have a complete picture. If the insurance company shows up with records of a bad back five years before the accident, it will put your doctor in a tough spot if you didn’t mention it after the accident.
- Take photos of the car in which you were injured and the accident scene. If the car gets crushed before you see our attorneys, the chance for photos is lost.
- If you have bruises or scars, take photos immediately. Sometimes these disappear in a few days and the chance to demonstrate visible physical injury is lost.
- Call our car accident lawyers as soon as you’ve received medical attention and before you speak with the insurance company. This tip alone could double the size of your injury settlement in Maine. We will take all the photos and do the investigation before the evidence disappears. For instance, skid marks only last a few days, but can be the difference between winning and losing a head-on accident claim. By seeking legal representation immediately, the insurance company knows you are serious and will set aside money in your case.
The attorneys at Hardy, Wolf & Downing are trusted by thousands of Mainers to handle auto accident and personal injury cases. We don’t just talk tough, we are tough, and we will go the extra mile to make sure you get the accident compensation you deserve. By preserving crucial evidence and enlisting the help of legal advocates who will organize this valuable information, you can optimize your chances of successfully obtaining monetary relief for your physical injuries, past and future pain and suffering, medical bills and property damage.
Lawsuit settlement values typically increase over time
The value of a Maine personal injury settlement generally increases over time, with more money offered at the time of trial compared to the pre-suit offer in most cases. It is ultimately the decision of the client whether to accept the insurance settlement or go on with litigation.
Other factors that can raise your chances of higher accident compensation are:
- The type and severity of injuries suffered: long-lasting injuries that are well-documented and leave the victim with permanent health problems or disabilities typically increase your chances of a larger settlement or jury verdict
- The kind of medical treatment(s) needed: Your attorney will highlight the physical and emotional pain and suffering associated with your injuries, and the kinds of surgeries, prescription medications, and other costly treatments required. Oftentimes, jurors will sympathize with a claimant’s embarrassment from visible scars or the need for special medical equipment such as a wheelchair or cane.
Increase your personal injury compensation
If you or a loved one has been harmed in a car wreck or another type of accident and want to increase the level of compensation for injuries, we invite you to contact the law offices of Hardy, Wolf & Downing today at 1-800-INJURED for a free and confidential case evaluation.
By boosting the compensation secured in your legal settlement or jury award, you can alleviate pressing monetary burdens and focus on what’s really important: your recovery and your family’s financial security. Rest assured that personal injury lawyers in Maine operate on a contingency fee basis, so you will never pay legal fees up front.
Free Lawsuit Review
We want to help! You may be eligible for financial compensation, contact us today.