GM Switch Recall, Other Auto Defects Spark Lawsuits
Recent news about the General Motors ignition switch has cast light on how important it is to have a product liability lawyer on your side if you or your family has sustained loss or injury due to an automobile malfunction. The company has released information about the number of death and injury claims that it has received and processed and estimates that many more claims are forthcoming. Although GM has set up a settlement program for their customers, others who have been injured or lost loved ones due to the ignition switch flaw have chosen to consult auto recall lawyers and personal injury specialists in order to bring their complaints to court.
Attorneys from Hardy, Wolf & Downing urge Maine victims who have sustained injury due to vehicle flaws to contact a Maine product liability lawyer to discuss the best options available to them. It is urgent that those in such a position act quickly, however, to obtain the best possible outcome.
A Maine product liability lawyer can assist with injuries or losses related to recalled auto defects
Several examples of vehicles that have been recalled due to defects or are currently being investigated in connection to a mechanical flaw have been in the media recently.
Please contact our office if one of these vehicular flaws has resulted in loss or injury for you or your family:
- Fiat 500L compact cars, 29,500 recalled for an improperly working knee air bag.
- Ford Fiesta 2011-2013 models, investigated by the NHTSA after the organization received 61 complaints about improperly latching doors. (1 injury reported thus far.)
- 11 manufacturers (including Honda) supplied by Takata have recalled 14 million vehicles with regard to air bags which have exploded and hit drivers or passengers with debris or chemicals. Well over 100 injuries and at least 2 deaths have been reported thus far.
- 2011 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs, recall of 188,723 issued by Chrysler, for possibility of stalling without warning.
- Models 2011-2014, Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana CNG vans, 3,196 vehicles recalled due to possible leaks.
Contact an auto recall lawyer to discuss options regarding the GM ignition switch recall
GM has initiated its own settlement program, for which it has set aside $400-600 million, to cover complaints regarding a faulty ignition switch that resulted in cars suddenly shutting off and cutting of air bag deployment as they did so. The related recall, begun in February, now encompasses 2.6 million vehicles. Evidence suggests that GM knew about the problem far earlier than February, however.
GM reports that they have received claims for 125 fatalities, 19 of which have been allocated a settlement thus far. Additional reports tell of a total of 445 claims including both deaths and injuries, with more claims to come.
GM will only accept additional claims up until the end of 2014, a deadline that is fast approaching. Others who have been victims of the ignition problems have opted to hire an auto recall lawyer to address these problems in court. Hundreds have chosen this option thus far.
A Maine product liability attorney at Hardy, Wolf & Downing is now setting up appointments to meet with the victims of the GM ignition switch flaw or of other vehicular flaws. We can discuss ways to get the maximum compensation that you and your family deserve in situations like these. Please contact our offices at 800-992-7333 for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.
- Bloomberg, GM Faces 125 Death Compensation Claims on Ignition Switch http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-15/gm-recall-death-toll-may-top-125-on-compensation-claims.html
- Fox News, Lawyer sues General Motors on behalf of 658 plaintiffs over faulty ignition switches http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/07/31/lawyer-sues-general-motors-on-behalf-658-plaintiffs-over-faulty-ignition/
- NY Times, N.H.T.S.A. Posts Recall of 25,000 Fiat 500L Models http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/automobiles/nhtsa-posts-recall-of-25000-fiat-500l-models.html
- NBC News, Ford Fiestas Probed for Doors That Might Open While Being Driven http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ford-fiestas-probed-doors-might-open-while-being-driven-n203616
- DOT, ODI Resume http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM462283/INOA-PE14028-9847.PDF
- NY Times, Air Bag Flaw, Long Known to Honda and Takata, Led to Recalls http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/business/air-bag-flaw-long-known-led-to-recalls.html?_r=1
- Edmunds, 2011 Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee Recalled for Potential Stalling Problem http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2011-dodge-durango-jeep-grand-cherokee-recalled-for-potential-stalling-problem.html
- DOT, Letter concerning Chrysler safety issues http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM462917/RCAK-14V530-5118.pdf
- Green, GM natural gas-powered vans recalled due to possible leak http://green.autoblog.com/2014/09/24/gm-natural-gas-powered-vans-recalled-due-to-possible-leak/
- DOT, GM Van Recall http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM462811/RCMN-14V500-6905.pdf