The Maine motorcycle accident lawyers at the law offices of Hardy, Wolf & Downing ensure that those motorcycle crash victims receive the monetary compensation they deserve for injuries and damages they’ve received due to someone else’s negligence. It’s no secret that motorcyclists must be extra cautious while on the road. Between 2016 and 2020 alone, there were a total of 2,797 motorcycle crashes in Maine. Of those crashes, over 80% resulted in injuries, which, sadly, included 119 fatalities.
Why It’s So Important to Hire an Experienced Lawyer After a Motorcycle Accident
Because bikers are so vulnerable to injury, in the aftermath of a motorcycle crash, they are likely to face numerous medical-related expenses, loss of wages, property damage to their bike, pain, and suffering, and other accident costs. Visiting with or hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you or any other parties injured due to the motorcycle crash deal with the insurance companies and Maine’s motorcycle laws to ensure you receive just compensation.
Motorcycle accident lawyers are personal injury lawyers that help their clients understand personal injury laws. However, not all motorcycle crashes may indeed warrant an attorney. For example, If it’s a minor accident that was totally your fault, or if the injuries you suffered were, for the most part, insignificant, or if your insurance company is cooperating with you and paying the full damages, likely, you will not need a motorcycle accident lawyer.
However, if you swerved to avoid debris in the road or another vehicle or attempted to dodge a section of damaged road that caused you to run into a telephone pole, you should speak with a Maine motorcycle accident lawyer to discuss your case. Don’t assume that you are not entitled to rightful compensation just because there was no other vehicle directly involved. You should contact a lawyer who knows Maine’s motorcycle laws to help you protect your interests.
Steps to Take to Solidify Your Claim
If you have been in a motorcycle crash caused by another vehicle, you can take several steps to help ensure the validity of your claim. If you have been in a motorcycle crash, the first thing to do is seek medical attention and, more importantly, never refuse it if offered (if refused, it could be used against you by the insurance company). It goes without saying that medical attention will be provided for you in the event of a serious motorcycle accident. However, sometimes, accident victims that outwardly appear okay or show no visible sign of physical injuries has a delayed reaction to the extent of their injuries. The adrenaline rush could be temporarily masking pain until the next day. Therefore, you should always seek medical attention after an accident.
If you are conscious and are able, you should call for help.
- Having emergency personnel dispatched and on the scene of the accident as soon as possible means quicker medical assistance and having police on hand to take charge of the accident scene.
- As you evaluate the situation, take pictures and gather information. If you have been in a collision, exchange contact information with the other driver or drivers.
- Get their name, license, plate number, vehicle description, and insurance information. Also, when the dust settles, take personal notes.
- Whatever you can remember about the accident, jot down while it’s fresh to aid your memory. In the long run, it might just help you prove your case.
- You will also have to let your insurance company know that you have been involved in an accident as soon as possible. When informing them, do not speculate, admit to, or assume any fault on your part. The police report will sum up what happened, and if you start to speculate to the contrary, it could affect the compensation you deserve for the accident.
- Another important step is to keep track of all the accident-related records and documents. Information like medical records and receipts, your copy of the police report, the photographs of the accident scene, contact info of the other drivers, the information you wrote down, and anything else that may help you in the event of a claim. The more information you have and the more accurate it is, the better for your claim.
- The final step is to contact a motorcycle accident lawyer. Consulting with an experienced attorney will ensure you receive the full attention you deserve and maximum compensation possible for your claim. Placing your case in the hands of an experienced attorney that can guide you through the legal system will result in the most beneficial results for you and those who depend on you.
Contact Maine’s Injury Lawyers
Motorcycle injury cases are usually very complex. Accident victims require lawyers experienced in dealing with the bias that bikers are confronted with routinely from law enforcement, insurance companies, and if circumstances merit a trial, juries. The motorcycle accident lawyers at Hardy, Wolf & Downing will fight for you and your family to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact Hardy, Wolf & Downing today for a free consultation.