Understanding the steps you need to take in the aftermath of an auto accident is vital to safeguarding your ability to recover full compensation for the injuries you sustain, and that includes knowing how to find a car accident lawyer Maine residents have grown to trust. The time immediately following a collision is always confusing and traumatic, but by making certain to document the harm you have suffered and preserve all available evidence, you can greatly increase your chances of securing the outcome you desire.
What to Do After Auto Accidents
According to the Maine Bureau of Highway Safety, in 2012 alone, there were 981 serious injuries sustained in automobile accidents on roadways in the state and 164 fatalities. The dangers we face each time we get behind the wheel are real, and nothing should be taken for granted.
Every motorist needs to realize that the actions they take and the things they do in the minutes, days, and weeks following a collision event can play a significant role in their ability to obtain the sort of compensation they will need to begin the process of recovery.
Key steps that should be taken in the aftermath of an automobile accident include:
- Get in touch with law enforcement authorities as soon as possible, including police, so that an accident report can be timely filed
- Try to prevent the vehicles involved from being moved until the police provide further direction. Attempt to maintain all involved cars in the positions they were in at impact unless an immediate hazard is being posed. If there is no choice but to move the vehicles, try to take photos of the scene before that happens.
- Make every effort to speak with on-scene eyewitnesses. Collecting the statements of witnesses is often of critical importance in establishing negligence or fault on the part of other motorists. Thus, it is essential to document what bystanders saw and gather contact information and names that can be provided to an attorney.
- Collect insurance information from all involved drivers, including carrier and policy numbers.
- Do not make any admissions of responsibility. Under no circumstances should you assume blame for what has occurred, even if you are unclear on the details. Verbal statements of fault are certain to be used against you by insurers.
- When your recollections of the collision are still fresh, try to write down some notes about the event.
- Heed all medical advice received from your physician. If you are given prescriptions, make sure you take them properly, and if you are sent to physical therapy, make certain to follow through with it. Make detailed notes and records of every treatment you undergo.
- Decline to negotiate with insurance adjusters until you can consult with a skilled, experienced car accident lawyer with a solid track record of securing favorable outcomes in auto accident cases.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents
Common causes of car accidents include:
- Driving while distracted
- Texting while driving
- Following too closely
- Drunk driving
- Improper or illegal turns
When individuals suffer debilitating harm due to the recklessness, carelessness, or errors of other drivers, we believe we have a duty to establish accountability and secure fair compensation for victims through a car accident lawsuit.
Compensation in Maine Auto Accident Lawsuits
The seasoned, knowledgeable attorneys at Hardy, Wolf & Downing pledge to collect essential evidence, gather witness statements, secure expert testimony, and build the strongest possible legal arguments on our client’s behalf. We have access to an unrivaled network of case investigators, economic loss analysts, medical experts, and legal support staff ready to work collaboratively to facilitate the most aggressive advocacy possible.
We stand prepared to fight for every dollar of available compensation, which may include payouts for:
- Past, present, and future medical bills
- Cost of ongoing physical therapy
- Accessibility adaptations to the home
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Gross disfigurement
- Lost wages/diminished earning capacity
- Loss of consortium/marital relationship
To truly maximize your chances of obtaining the compensation you deserve, the aid of a talented Maine auto accident lawyer is invaluable. The firm of Hardy, Wolf & Downing has the strategic experience and legal skill to successfully negotiate with insurers or, should that not yield the desired result, take your matter to trial.
What a Maine Auto Accident Attorney Can Do to Help
Though car accidents are often frightening, bewildering events, the way you react in the moments and days following your collision can make a real difference in the ultimate outcome you can achieve. The most critical decision to make is to contact a team of attorneys who have spent their entire careers protecting the rights of the injured and fighting for the financial recovery that accident victims need and deserve.
If you or a loved one have sustained serious injuries in a car accident and are interested in scheduling a no-charge initial consultation, contact us at 1-800-INJURED. We look forward to assessing the facts of your case and helping you understand your legal options.