For over four decades, Hardy, Wolf & Downing has provided plaintiffs with solid legal peace of mind. As Maine personal injury lawyers, we understand the delicate and highly-emotional nature of this area of litigation and work closely with our clients to achieve the best possible result.
As leading personal injury lawyers in Maine, the firm’s experienced attorneys guarantee the utmost attention to your case. Beginning in the 1970’s, Hardy, Wolf & Downing has exclusively limited its practice to assisting injured victims and bringing justice to light. If you are ready to find a personal injury lawyer Maine residents trust, let us handle the legal aspect of your recent accident and injury and we encourage you to contact our office right away.
Our broad service area covers Portland, Lewistown, and Bangor, where we offer a wide range of legal services related to:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Motorcycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Wrongful death
- Product liability
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
Maine Personal Injury Lawyers with the Experience You Need
Your experience with Hardy, Wolf & Downing will begin with a consultation between you and one of our esteemed Maine personal injury lawyers. During the consultation, you will discuss the facts of your case and why you believe another party is responsible for your injuries. Your attorney will review your case and make certain there are no obvious defects in your case (e.g., the statute of limitations issue) and will offer honest, straightforward advice as to your likelihood of recovery.
From there, your case will begin with a filing of a complaint alleging negligence, as well as general facts to support your assertion. We will then use our experience and knowledge of the litigation process to gather relevant evidence and work toward a positive resolution of your claim.
Some of our most notable settlements and verdicts include the following:
- $4.5 Million: Compensation awarded to a 13-year old victim of severe burns caused by paintball equipment;
- $753,000: Compensation for an injured worker impaled by a forklift, injuring his ankle and fracturing his leg;
- $600,000: Compensation for an auto accident victim who was negligently sideswiped, causing severe injuries to her neck and spine;
- $500,000: Compensation for a hospital patient who endured a life-threatening stroke as a result of infected surgical wounds.
Basics of a Maine Negligence Lawsuit
No two negligence cases are identical, however, all must meet certain elements in order to succeed. In Maine, there are four elements to a negligence action – all of which must be met in order for the case to conclude in the plaintiff’s favor.
The elements of negligence are:
- Duty – Did the defendant have a duty to act cautiously and carefully?
- Breach – Did the defendant fail to meet this duty?
- Causation – Did the defendant’s breach result in the plaintiff’s injury?
- Damages – Can the plaintiff prove actual physician and/or financial damages?
In order for your claim to succeed it will be necessary for a personal injury attorney prove all 4 elements with solid evidence that the defendant is, in fact, at fault in your case. This solid evidence could be in the form of accident reports, medical bills or witness testimony. Regardless of your unique situation, our Maine personal injury lawyers will do what it takes to advance the strongest possible claim and obtain the best possible compensation for your injuries.
Understanding Strict Liability
Strict liability is generally applied to product liability cases. If a personal injury lawyer in Maine files a strict liability claim, he or she must prove that a product, when used correctly, caused your injury. In some cases, a plaintiff may recover in strict product liability even when not using the product correctly – known as a “reasonable misuse” exception. Household members injured by a consumer product may also be able to recover in strict product liability if it was reasonably foreseeable that the injured victim would have come in contact with the defective item.
Our injury attorneys also handle cases involving intentional or malicious attacks on a plaintiff victim, also known as intentional “torts.” The term “tort” was derived from the French word for “wrong,” and this area of the law is devoted to redressing injuries caused due to contact above and beyond a mere accident. Intentional torts include assault, battery, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress and trespass. If you are facing unspeakable domestic violence, Hardy, Wolf & Downing can help you through the civil side of the matter – assisting you in the pursuit of compensation to redress your injuries and help bring closure to an otherwise seemingly hopeless situation.
Compensation Available for Maine Personal Injury Victims
The civil side of the law is designed to make plaintiffs “whole” again. In other words, negligence law is designed to repay victims money that they would not have had to spend but for their unexpected injury.
At Hardy, Wolf & Downing, we help plaintiffs recover compensation in any of the following areas:
- Medical expenses: Costs associated with surgery, hospital stays, rehabilitation or prescription medications, including anticipated future expenses
- Lost wages: Wages lost as a result of missed time from work
- Future earnings: If you are unable to return to your job for the foreseeable future (or indefinitely), you may be able to recover the amount you would have earned but for your accident
- Pain and suffering: Known as “general damages,” personal injury victims are often awarded additional compensation above and beyond the actual costs of the injury – particularly if the injury is exceptionally problematic or disabling
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are those that are added to the plaintiff’s actual and general damages as a way to punish the defendant and deter similar conduct. These damages are only available in limited circumstances, typically in cases involving gross negligence or intentional conduct.
Contact a Reputable and Experienced Maine Personal Injury Attorney
If you have recently suffered an injury and you believe another individual is to blame for the accident, we encourage you to contact Hardy, Wolf & Downing right away. For a consultation in the Portland, Bangor, Lewistown or Southern Maine areas, call 1-800-INJURED today!
“[Sheldon] We represent thousands of people. We have done thousands of cases and every case is different. Sometimes we have to prove that the other side is at fault. Jean M was one of the most wonderful and bravest human beings I’ve met. When she was 69 she was riding a motorcycle and had the right of way when she was broadsided by an out of stater who ran a stop sign. She suffered devastating injuries to her leg. There was concern that she could even lose her leg. She contracted MRSA. She underwent 5, 6 surgeries. It was a complicated injury. It was a serious injury.
[Jean] I was involved in a motorcycle accident. My leg was crushed and my son helped me get to Hardy Wolf and Downing. I met Sheldon in the hospital and he was… I just liked him immediately. I had multiple surgeries and what not on the leg and then did rehab at home. Then I went down to Portland and I got a second opinion, as Sheldon recommended this surgeon to me. And he was wonderful. And he set me up with a man who did a bunch more of surgeries on my knee and what not. For what the accident was I think I got a pretty good result.
[Sheldon] We were able to settle her case and get her very very well compensated for what she had gone through. You have to know where the money is and there’s no big secret. We’ve learned where the money is because we’re experienced.
[Jean] I can tell you Hardy Wolf and Downing, I have had nothing but positive experiences. And Sheldon, he’s one of the best. He’s got a wonderful sense of humor and I just enjoyed it. I mean if you have to go through a bad experience he’s a good guy to go to.”
Free Lawsuit Review
We want to help! You may be eligible for financial compensation, contact us today.